Recently I have updated the tools I use. I’m not using Facebook as much and now favouring LinkedIn and Twitter. I have also started using other services to keep me organised. Most are online services that I can use anywhere. A few are installed but use the Internet to access servers, like Evernote. I am still trying to move away from a dependence on any particular operating system. At the same time, I am also trying to use free or Open Source sites, services and programs.
I have a two fold aim, one is to make sure I can use any computer to access my information and services, the other is to be as mobile as possible. That means testing out many different apps on my Nexus 7 tablet to see what works.
So the tools I currently use are…
- Gmail and Google calander- used for all my accounts, works well on my tablet too
- TweetDeck – I use the browser version on my laptops
- Evernote – using it to organise projects and keeping notes. Works on Windows as a program, Android app version on my table but access by browser for Linux.
- Libre Office – great (free) replacement for MS Office and there is a view app for Android. You can take you files with you, view only but then I don’t really want to edit on a tablet.
- The Gimp and Inkscape – two great open source image editing programs. Available for both Windows and Linux
- WordPress – possibly the worlds best blogging/CMS system. All you need is a browser, however there is an app for Android and iPhone to access your sites and create posts.
- Skype – just about the de facto Internet calling service. Available on Android, iPhone, Linux as well as Windows and other smartphones.
The only thing you can count on these days is change. So I am sure I will be using different or additional services, apps and programs in the future.
So which tools do you use and why?